Morebath, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a bold acclivity, near the boundary with Somerset, and near the confluence of the rivers Exe and Barle, with a station on the G.W.R. 176 miles from London, 2 N by W of Bampton, and 9 N by W of Tiverton. It was anciently called Murbath and Murbade, and has a post office under Tiverton; money order and telegraph office, Bampton. Acreage of parish, 3474; population, 449. The parish council consists of seven members. The manor belonged formerly to Barlinch Priory. Part of the surface rises into lofty hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter;. gross value, £175 with residence. The church is ancient, has remains of a window brought from Barlinch Priory in the 16th century, and was thoroughly restored in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Morebath St. George|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Morebath from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Morebath (St. George))
Online maps of Morebath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.