Morchard Bishop, Devon
Morchard Bishop, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 2½ miles ENE of a station on the L. & S.W.R. called Morchard Road, and 6¼ NW of Crediton. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) A fair is held at it on the Monday after 9 Sept. The parish includes also several small hamlets. Acreage, 7015; population, 1102. The parish council consists of eleven members. The manor formerly belonged to the Bishops of Exeter, but now forms part of the endowment of the living. Barton House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £700 with residence. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a fine tower, is a neat structure, was well restored in 1889, and contains several monuments. There are Congregational and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bishop's Morchard St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Morchard Bishop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Morchard, Bishop's (St. Mary))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Morchard Bishop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.