Monkleigh, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on high ground above the river Torridge, 3 miles NW by W of Torrington, and 4½ S by E of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R., belonged to Montacute monastery, and took thence the name of Monkleigh by corruption of Monk Leasne. It has a post office under Torrington; money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage of parish, 2171; population, 429. The manor passed by purchase after the Reformation to the Coffins. Annery House, a fine mansion overlooking the picturesque village of Wear Gifford, belonged formerly to Chief Justice Sir W. Hankford. There is a large earthenware manufactory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £150 with residence. The church is ancient, in fair condition, has a S aisle belonging-to the Annery estate and rebuilt in 1829, and contains a screen, two brasses, a monument to Sir W. Hankford, and a tablet to Major A. S. Willet, who served and died in the Crimea. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Monkleigh St. George|
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Monkleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Monkleigh (St. George))
Online maps of Monkleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.