Molland, a parish, with a scattered village, in Devonshire, near the boundary with Somerset, 6½ miles ENE of South Molton, with a station on the G.W.R. 188 miles from London. It has a post office under South Molton; money order office. North Molton; telegraph office, South Molton. Acreage, 6262; population of the civil parish, 532; of the ecclesiastical, 954. The manor belonged to the Bottreaux family, and is sometimes called Molland Bottreaux; it afterwards passed to the Hungerfords and the Courtenays, and belongs now to the Throckmorton family. West Molland, about a mile from the village, is a fine old mansion. About 1700 acres are moorland or common. An ancient camp is under Molland Down. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Knowstone, in the diocese of Exeter; value, £490 with residence. The church is Later English; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Courtenays, and one of the Rev. D. Berry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Molland St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1541.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: in 1894 memorial windows were erected to William Rossiter esq. and his wife, of South Molton: in the church is a memorial to the Rev. D. Berry B.D. sometime vicar of this parish and Knowstone, who was persecuted for his attachment to the cause of Charles I. and died in 1683, aged 45: there are also several interesting monuments to the Courtenay family: in 1902 the church was repaired, at a cost of £100, defrayed chiefly by subscription, and affords 220 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Molland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Molland (St. Mary))
Online maps of Molland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.