Milton Abbott, Devon
Milton Abbot, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 1½ mile E of the river Tamar, at the boundary with Cornwall, and 6½ miles NW of Tavistock station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R.; is a pleasant place; has a fair on the Wednesday after 18 July, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Tavistock. The parish contains also the hamlets of Chillaton, Edgcumbe, Foghanger, and Quither. Acreage, 6748; population, 780. The manor belonged to Tavistock Abbey, went at the dissolution to Lord Russell, and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. Endsleigh is a villa-seat of the Duke of Bedford; stands amid romantic scenery on the river Tamar; was built in 1810 after designs by Sir G. Wyattville; presents an aspect of remarkable but picturesque irregularity; and has grounds with features of striking interest, including the Dairy Dell, the Alpine Garden with a Swiss cottage, and the Terrace commanding a very beautiful view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £540 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is Perpendicular, and has a pinnacled tower. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels, and a working-men's institute with library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Milton-Abbot St. Constantine|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milton Abbott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Milton-Abbot (St. Constantine))
Online maps of Milton Abbott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cChillaton
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.