Meeth, a parish in Okehampton parish, Devonshire, at the confluence of the rivers Okement and Torridge, 3 miles N by E of Hatherleigh, and 10 NNW of Okehampton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Hatherleigh. Acreage, 2848; population, 451. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £290 with residence. The church is ancient, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and contains a monument to Lempriere the lexicographer, who was rector; the building was restored in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Meeth St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Meeth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Meeth (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Meeth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.