Brimpton, a parish in Berks, on the rivers Emborne and Kennet, 2 miles SW from Midgham station on the G.W.R., and 6 ESE of Newbury. It has a post office under Reading; money order and telegraph office, Woolhampton. Acreage, 1683 with 22 of water; population, 392. A preceptory of the Knights Templars, afterwards of the Knights Hospitallers, was here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £248 with residence. The church, erected in 1869, is a building of flint and stone in the Decorated style. There is a Baptist chapel and seven endowed almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brimpton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1500.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, erected in 1869, on the site of the former church, at the sole cost of the late James Blyth esq. is a building of flint with stone dressings in the Decorated style ana consists of chancel, nave, north annexe, south aisle, south porch and western tower with a light and graceful spire containing a clock and 4 bells: most of the windows are stained, one on the north side being a memorial to George Henry, Earl of Falmouth, who died 29 August, 1852; the stained windows on the south side of the chancel are in memory of Edward Golding B.A. a former vicar of this parish, and are dated 1857: in the north side of the chancel is one in memory of Ellen Mary Caffin, wife of the Rev. George Benjamin Caffin M.A. vicar here from 1840: there are 250 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1843, with sittings for 140 persons.
Brimpton was in Hungerford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brimpton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Brimpton (St. Peter))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Brimpton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.