Marytavy or Tavy St Mary, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Tavy, on the W side of Dartmoor, amid romantic environs, 4 miles NNE of Tavistock, and has a station on the G.W.R., 264 miles from London, and a post and telegraph office under Tavistock; money order office, Tavistock. The parish contains also the hamlets of Horndon and Black Down. Acreage, 4268; population of the civil parish, 733; of the ecclesiastical, 634. About 2000 acres are open moorland. A remarkable chasm called Tavy Cleave, 4 miles long, and overhung by the heights of Dartmoor, is in the neighbourhood. Marytavy Rock is a curious insulated crag, covered with litchens and ivy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £170 with residence. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tavy St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marytavy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tavy (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHorndon
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.