Marystow or Stow St Mary, a parish in Devonshire. The church stands near the river Lyd, and near Coryton station on the G.W.R., 6½ miles NNW of Tavistock. The parish contains the hamlet of Dipperton, and part of the village of Lew Down, which has a post office; telegraph office, Coryton. Acreage, 2927; population of the civil parish, 350; of the ecclesiastical, 746. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of seven members. It also sends one member to district council. Sydenham House was erected in the early part of the 17th century by Sir Thomas Wise, was garrisoned for Charles I. and taken in 1645 by Colonel Holbourn, and belongs now to the Tremayne family. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Thrushelton, in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £215 with residence. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and side chapel; and contains two stone stalls, an old stone font, a beautiful carved screen, and a monument to Sir Thomas Wyse of Sydenham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mary-Stow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marystow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mary-Stow (St. Mary))
Online maps of Marystow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCholwell
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.