Marldon, a parish in Devonshire, near Torbay, 2½ miles W of Torquay station on the G.W.R., and 5 ENE of Totnes-It contains the hamlets of Compton and Westerland. Post town, Paignton. Acreage, 2547; population of the civil parish, 528; of the ecclesiastical, with Paignton, 5961. The-manor belonged in the time of Edward the Confessor to Osolf; was held at Domesday by Stephen, and then bore the-name of Contime; passed in the time of Henry II. to Maurice de Pole, ancestor of Sir William Pole the antiquary; took from the Poles the name of Compton Pole; passed from them to the Comptons; belonged in the time of Edward II. to the family of Sir Humphrey Gilbert the navigator; went from them to the family of Bishop; passed about 1830 to the-Gan'atts; and belongs now to the Bewes family. The manorial mansion is called Compton Castle; has a very ancient gateway and a N embattled tower; and includes a chapel with beautiful windows. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Paignton, in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £450 with residence. The church is old but good, has been restored, and contains monuments of the De Poles, the Bishops,. and others. There are Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marldon St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marldon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marldon (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Marldon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.