Yarm, North Riding of Yorkshire
Yarm, a small town and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Tees and on a branch of the N.E.R., 4 miles SSW of Stockton, and 231 from London. It occupies low ground, had a Black friary founded in the early part of the 13th century, and now giving name to a mansion called the Fryarage which has been built on its site, rose to some consequence as a place of trade and commerce, but declined on account of its proximity to Stockton. It partakes with Stockton in the salmon-fishery of the Tees, and consists chiefly of one long spacious street running north and south, flanked nearly along its entire length by a railway viaduct of forty-three arches. It has a head post office, a railway station, a police station, a covered market-cross built in 1710, containing a clock and bell, a stone bridge partly of the year 1400, a church, Wesleyan, Primitive and Association Methodist chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1860, an endowed grammar-school, rebuilt in 1884, with about £45 a year, a cemetery of two acres formed in 1881, several charities, and a fair for cattle and cheese in October. There was formerly a market, but it has become extinct The river Tees is navigable here for small vessels. The parish comprises 1229 acres; population of the civil parish, 1608; of the ecclesiastical, 1554. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £206. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1730, and restored in 1878, and consists of nave, aisles, and embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yarm St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Stockton-upon-Tees|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Yarm:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yarm from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yarm (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: