Yafforth, North Riding of Yorkshire
Yafforth, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Danby Wiske parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 1½ mile W of Northallerton station on the N.E.R. Post town, Northallerton; money order and telegraph office, Northallerton. Acreage, 1327; population, 151. The chapelry belongs to the rectory of Danby Wiske. The church was rebuilt in 1870, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower. There is a Free Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Danby Wisk|
|Poor Law union||Northallerton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Yafforth:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yafforth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yafforth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Yafforth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: