Malborough, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the coast, 2 miles W by N of Salcombe, and 13 from Kingsbridge Road station on the G.W.R., and is partly in West Alvington parish. It has a post' office under Kingsbridge; money order and telegraph office, Sal-oombe. Malborough parish extends along the coast, between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail, and contains the hamlets of Coombe, Collaton, Rew, Boltbury, Hope, Batson, and Shadycombe. Acreage, 5091 of land and 420 of water; population of the civil parish, 2160; of the ecclesiastical, 860. The manors belong to the Earl of Devon. Ilton Castle was built in 1335 by Sir John Chiverstone, and is now reduced to some fragmentary remains. A submerged forest, yielding hazel nuts and leaves in good preservation, was discovered within a few feet of the surface of the sands, at two coves between Bolt Head and Salcombe. The catching of fish and of lobsters and crabs is carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is Later English and large, has a lofty tower and spire visible at a great distance, and contains an elegant monument to Lord Kinsale. The perpetual curacy of Salcombe is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel and a reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Malborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Malborough)
Online maps of Malborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBatson
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.