Wykeham, North Riding of Yorkshire
Wykeham, a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 3½ miles N by W of Ganton, and 6½ SW of Scarborough, with a station on a branch of the North-Eastern railway, and a post office under York; money order and telegraph office, Brompton. The parish includes Langdale End and Ruston. Acreage, 8200; population, 493. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to the Viscountess Downe. A Cistercian nunnery was founded here about 1153 by Pain Fitz-Osbert, and Wykeham Abbey, the seat of the Viscountess Downe, occupies part of its site. The living is a donative in the diocese of York; net value, £242 with residence. Patron, the Dowager Viscountess Downe. The church was erected in 1853, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a detached tower, said to have belonged to an ancient chapel, which was restored in 1855.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wykeham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Wykeham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wykeham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wykeham (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: