Wycliffe with Thorpe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Wycliffe-with-Thorpe, a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Tees, 3¾ miles SSW of Winston station on the N.E.R., and 5½ E by S of Barnard Castle. Post town, Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Barnard Castle. Acreage, 2518; population of the civil parish, 188; of the ecclesiastical, 164. The manor belongs to the Chichester Constable family. Wycliffe, or John de Wycliffe, the " Morning Star of the Reformation," was a native, and his family were settled here from the Norman Conquest till 1606. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £319 with residence. The church is an ancient building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and small belfry, It contains several brasses to the Wycliffe family. The rectory house contains an original portrait of Wycliffe by Sir Antonio More, given by Dr. Zouch, and handed down as an heirloom from each rector to his successor. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: