Wilton (Ellerburne), North Riding of Yorkshire
Wilton, a village and a township-chapelry in Ellerburne parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 3¼ miles E by S of Pickering, with a station about 1½ mile from the village on a branch of the N.E.R. Post town, Pickering; money order and telegraph office, Thornton. Acreage, 1784; population, 151. The manor belongs to the Hill family of Thornton Hall, and Lord Hotham owns the whole of the village. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Ellerburne, in the diocese of York. The church is a small building in the Norman style, and formed the chapel of the old castle of Wilton, of which little or nothing remains.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: