Whitwell on the Hill, North Riding of Yorkshire
Whitwell-on-the-Hill, a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles SW of New Malton, and half a mile from Kirkham Abbey station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under York; money order and telegraph office, Kirkham Abbey. Acreage, 1574; population, 213. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £184. The church was built in 1860, and consists of chancel, nave, and tower with spire. There are reading-rooms and library, opened in 1890, and a convalescent home. The Lechmere family are lords of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Whitwell On the Hill:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitwell on the Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitwell-On-The-Hill)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: