Westerdale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Westerdale, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 2¼ miles SSW of Castleton station on a section of the N.E.R., and 7½ SE of Guisbrough. Post town, Grosmont (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Castleton. Acreage of township, 9881; population, 245. The manor, with Westerdale Hall, belongs to the Buncombe family. Baysdale Abbey belongs to the Boynes. Much of the land is moor and mountain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1875. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial library, and an endowed school with £15 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Westerdale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Westerdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Westerdale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: