West Witton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Witton, West, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles WSW of Leybum station on the N.E.R., with a post office under Leyburn; money order and telegraph office, Leyburn. Acreage, 3874; population, 404. An ancient castle of Ralph Fitz-Randal was here, and has left some vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £108 with residence. Patron, Lord Bolton, who is lord of the manor. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for West Witton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Witton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: