West Tanfield, North Riding of Yorkshire
Tanfield, West, a village and a parish in N. R Yorkshire, on the river Ure, 6 miles NW by N of Ripon, with a station on a branch of the N.E.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bedale. The parish comprises the small villages of Bincoe, Nosterfield, and Thornbrough. Acreage, 3243 of land and 43 of water; population, 521. There is a parish council consisting of five members. An old seat of the Marmions is here, and a handsome bridge spans the Ure. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £346 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1860. It consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, contains several stained windows and effigies of knights, and a small chamber in the chanceL There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for West Tanfield:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Tanfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: