West Ayton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ayton, West, a village and a township in Hutton-Bushell parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the Derwent river, 5 miles WSW of Scarborough. It has a station called Forge Valley, on a branch of the N.E.R. Acreage, 2335; population, 391. York is the post town. Remains exist of an ancient castle which belonged to the Evers or Eures and the Cliffords. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Ayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: