Well, North Riding of Yorkshire
Well, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village lies 4½ miles S of Bedale station on the N.E.H., and has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, West Tanfield. Acreage of township, 1898; population, 334; of the ecclesiastical parish, 823. The parish contains also Snape township. Thorp Perrow is the seat of the baronet family of Millbank, who are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £316 with residence. The church was restored in 1854. It is in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S chapel, N porcli, and a lofty western tower, and contains several memorial windows. There are a Wesleyan chape], an endowed school with £58 per annum, and an ancient hospital for sixteen persons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Well St. James|
|Poor Law union||Bedale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Well:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Well from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Well (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Well are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: