UK Genealogy Archives logo

Welbury, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Welbury, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on a section of the N.E.R., 5½ miles NNE of Northallerton, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northallerton. Acreage, 2401; population, 217. The Earl of Harewood is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £293 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, a small ancient building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and bell-turret, was restored in 1887.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWelbury St. Leonard 
Poor Law unionNorthallerton 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeBirdforth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Welbury:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1697-19301716-18021698-18851699-1982

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Welbury from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Welbury are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

DistrictHambleton
CountyNorth Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL6
Post TownNorthallerton