Welburn (Bulmer), North Riding of Yorkshire
Welburn, a village and a township in Bulmer parish, N.R. Yorkshire, near Castle Howard station on the N.E.R., 5 miles SW by W of New Malton, with a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Kirkham Abbey. Acreage, 886; population, 480. A handsome church was built in 1865 by the late Earl of Carlisle as a memorial of his mother, and stands on a conspicuous height, in full view of Castle Howard. The Carlisle Monument, erected by public subscription to the seventh Earl of Carlisle, 1870-80, consists of a column about 100 feet high, and stands on a ridge of the hills near this. The living is annexed to the rectory of Bulmer, in the diocese of York. There are also a Wesleyan chapel and the Castle Howard Reformatory School. The latter was erected in 1855, a sanitary wing was added in 1887, and the chapel attached to it, built in 1868, was enlarged in 1887. There are about ninety inmates.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welburn (Bulmer) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Welburn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: