Wath, North Riding of Yorkshire
Wath, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near Melmerby Junction railway station, and 4 miles N by E of Ripon, and has a post office under Ripon; money order and telegraph office, Melmerby. Acreage, 766; population, 220; of the ecclesiastical parish, 685. The parish includes the townships of Norton Conyers, Melmerby, and Middleton Quernhow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £654 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Aylesbury. The church is an ancient building in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower. There are an endowed school and almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wath St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Wath:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wath from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wath (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: