Warthill, North Riding of Yorkshire
Warthill, two townships and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the N.E.R., 5¼ miles NE by E of York. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Stamford Bridge. The townships are Warthill Copyhold and Warthill Freehold. Acreage, 623 and 381; population, 138 and 33. The manor belongs to the Agar family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is a small building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and tower with spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warthill St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Warthill:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warthill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Warthill (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Warthill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: