Upsall, North Riding of Yorkshire
Upsall, a village and a township in South Kilvington parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 3¼ miles NNE of Thirsk station on the N.E.R., with a post office under Thirsk; money order and telegraph office, Borrowby. Acreage, 1292; population, 130. Upsall Castle, a modern mansion erected in 1876 on the site of the ancient castle (which for 200 years was the residence of the Lords Scrooper of Upsall and Mashaw), is the seat of the Turton family. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||South Kilvington|
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upsall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upsall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Upsall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: