UK Genealogy Archives logo

Thornton Steward, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Thornton Steward, a village and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ure, 2 miles S of Finghall Lane railway station, and 6½ WSW of Bedale. There is a post and money order office under Bedale; telegraph office, Newton-le-Willows. Acreage, 2398; population, 240. The parish comprises The hamlet of Danby. Danby Hall is a chief residence. The manor belongs to Lord Bolton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is an old stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishThornton-Steward St. Oswald 
Poor Law unionLeyburn 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeHang-West 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Thornton Steward:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1563-19141747-19301564-19301563-1987

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Thornton Steward from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Thornton Steward are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

DistrictRichmondshire
CountyNorth Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtHG4
Post TownRipon