Luppitt, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 2 miles W of the river Otter, and 5 NNE of Honiton station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Honiton; money order office, Up-Ottery; telegraph office, Honiton. The parish includes the tithing of Shap-combe, and comprises 5072 acres; population, 557. The manor belonged anciently to the Mohuns and the Carews, and bears the name of Mohun's Ottery. The ancient manor house became a farmhouse, was destroyed by fire in 1847, and is now represented by three entrance-arches, with some beautiful carving. A monastery stood anciently on a low site within the parish, and was dissolved by William de Mohun at his founding of the Abbey of Newnham. The name Luppitt was anciently written Love Pit, and is supposed to allude to the site of the monastery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; tithe rent charge, £140 with residence. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, with porch and tower, and contains a recessed tomb said to be of the Carew family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Luppitt St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Luppitt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Luppitt (St. Mary))
Online maps of Luppitt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.