Thornton le Street, North Riding of Yorkshire
Thornton-le-Street, a township and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles N by W of Thirsk railway station. There is a post office under Thirsk; money order and telegraph office, Thirsk. Acreage, 1389; population of township, 146; of ecclesiastical parish, 226. The parish comprises the township of North Kilvington. The manor belongs to Earl Cathcart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £150. . Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. Sir R. Lester, the physician, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thornton-Le-Street St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Thornton Le Street:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornton le Street from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thornton-Le-Street (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: