Thornton le Clay, North Riding of Yorkshire
Thornton-le-Clay, a village and a township in Foston parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 7 miles SW of New Malton, and 1½ mile from Flaxton station on the N.E.R., with a post office under York; money order office, Flaxton; telegraph office, Kirkham Abbey. Acreage, 897; population, 274. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Friends' meeting-house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornton le Clay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thornton-Upon-Clay)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: