Thornaby on Tees, North Riding of Yorkshire
Thornaby-on-Tees, a town, a municipal borough, and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Tees, opposite Stockton-on-Tees, with which it is connected by a bridge over the Tees. The town has a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockton-on-Tees. It was incorporated in 18 9 2, and is divided into six wards, and governed by a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors. The parish and borough are conterminous. Acreage, 1923 of land and 74 of water; population, 15,637. The ecclesiastical parish of St Paul, has a population of 10,707; and that of St Luke, separated in 1895, 4930. There are blast-furnaces, iron-foundries, engineering works, timber yards, wire-rope manufactory, iron-shipbuilding yards, saw-mills, flour-mills, and pottery works. A large trade is carried on in timber and corn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £335 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was erected in 1858, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, N and S aisles, and belfry. The living of St Luke is of the net value of £150, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop alternately. St Luke's church is built on a site given by the late Earl of Harward. There are Baptist, Congregational, Free, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan chapels, a large cemetery, a town-hall, mechanics' institute, temperance hall, public library, fire-brigade, and county police stations. There is a Roman Catholic church.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: