Loxhore, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a hill, amid very fine scenery, 6½ miles NE by N of Barnstaple station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R., was originally called Lockeshore, and is a very scattered place. It has a post and telegraph office at Bratton Fleming. Acreage of civil parish, 1553; population, 192; of ecclesiastical, with Arlington, 430. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £230. The church is ancient and good, and has a tower with a peal of four bells; it was restored in 1880-81. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Loxhore St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Barnstaple|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Loxhore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Loxhore (St. Michael))
Online maps of Loxhore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.