Loxbear, a parish in Devonshire, 4 miles NW of Tiverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Tiverton. Calverleigh was united to Loxbear for civil purposes in 1885. Acreage, 1343; population of the civil parish, 182; of the ecclesiastical, 105. The manor was known at the Conquest as Lochebere, and was then held by Algar from the Bishop of Constance, in Normandy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £160. The church is old, plain, and good, and consists of a Norman doorway and tower with three bells of Henry VI. date, and a nave and chancel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Loxbear from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Loxbear)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.