Sutton under Whitestone Cliffe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Sutton-under-Whitestone-Cliffe, a township in Feliskirk parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles ENE of Thirsk station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Thirsk; money order and telegraph office, Thirsk. Acreage, 1908; population, 280. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Felix Kirk|
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton under Whitestone Cliffe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton-Under-Whitestone-Cliffe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: