Sutton on the Forest, North Riding of Yorkshire
Sutton-on-the Forest, a village, a township, and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles E of Tollerton railway station, and 8 N of York, and has a post and money order office under Easingwold; telegraph office, Easingwold. Acreage, 6006; population of township, 530; of ecclesiastical parish, 986. Sutton-on-the Forest, with Suet Carr, has a parish council consisting of five members. The parish contains also Huby township and Suet Carr. Sutton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and an embattled western tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a cemetery, and several charities. Sterne was rector.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-On-The-Forest All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sutton on the Forest:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton on the Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton-On-The-Forest (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: