Strensall, North Riding of Yorkshire
Strensall, a village and a parish in N. R Yorkshire, on the river Foss and the York and Scarborough railway, 6½ miles NNE of York. There is a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under York. Acreage, 2909; population of the civil parish, 470; of the ecclesiastical, 544. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £186 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1866, and is in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower with spire. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. On the south-eastern side of the village was formerly an open common of 3 to 4 square miles in extent. This is now occupied by the War Department as a military camp, in which during the summer months most of the troops in the north-eastern district assemble for training.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Strensall St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Strensall:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Strensall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Strensall (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: