Stonegrave, North Riding of Yorkshire
Stonegrave, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies under the Hambledon Hills, 1½ mile NW of Hovingham railway station, and 5¼ miles SE by S of Helmsley. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Oswaldkirk, under York. Acreage, 915; population, 124; of the ecclesiastical parish, 306. The parish contains the townships of Ness and East Newton-with-Laysthorpe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £501 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1862, in the Decorated style, but retains portions of the previous structure, either Saxon or Early Norman. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and embattled western tower, and contains several ancient monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Stonegrave:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stonegrave from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stonegrave)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stonegrave are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: