Stockton on the Forest, North Riding of Yorkshire
Stockton-on-the-Forest, a parish, with a village, N.R. Yorkshire, 5 miles NE of York, and half a mile from Warthill station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under York; money order office, York; telegraph office, Sand Hutton. Acreage, 3268; population, 407. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Agar family. Stockton Hall and Hazel Bush are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £272 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1895-96. There is a Church of England school-institute and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Stockton on the Forest:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stockton on the Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stockton-on-the-Forest)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: