Stillington, North Riding of Yorkshire
Stillington, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village lies 5 miles ENE of Tollerton railway station and 10 N by W of York, and has a post and money order office under Easingwold; telegraph office, Easingwold. Acreage of parish, 2158; population, 490. There is a parish council of five members. Stillington Hall was long the residence of the Croft family, but now belongs to the Thorn-tons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and embattled western tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Laurence Sterne was vicar from 1744 to about 1767.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Stillington:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stillington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: