Startforth, North Riding of Yorkshire
Startforth, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Tees, 1 mile S of Barnard Castle station on the N.E.R., and 15 miles from Darlington. It comprises Bridge End. Acreage, 1010; population, 535; of the ecclesiastical parish, 731. The parish includes two other townships-Boldron and Egglestone Abbey. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Barnard Castle. There are mills for the manufacture of shoemakers', saddlers', and harness makers' thread. Startforth Hall and Low Startforth Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £159 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is in the Early Decorated style, and was rebuilt in 1863. It consists of chancel, nave, and western tower with spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Startforth Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Startforth:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Startforth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Startforth (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: