Stanwick St John, North Riding of Yorkshire
Stanwick St John, a township and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4 miles S by W of Pierce Bridge railway station, and 7½ NNE of Richmond. Acreage, 1397; population, 112. The manor, with Stanwick Hall, belongs to the Northumberland family. The parish contains also the townships of Caldwell, East Layton, and Aldbrough, the last of which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington. The living is a vicarage with Aldbrough and Caldwell annexed, in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £220 with residence. The church is an ancient building in the Early English style, was restored in 1868, and again in 1890, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There are chapels of ease at Aldbrough and Caldwell. Remains of very extensive entrenchments are found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanwick St. John St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Stanwick St John:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanwick St John from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanwick St. John (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: