Littleham, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Yeo, immediately above its influx to the Torridge, 2 miles S of Bideford town and station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bideford. Acreage, 1324; population, 304. The manor was held by the Conqueror's wife Matilda, passed to the Stapletons, the Butlers, the St Legers, and the Bassetts, and now belongs to the Stucleys. The parish is noted for the brewing of App's ale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £85 with residence. The church was consecrated in 1319 by Walter de Stapeldon, bishop of Exeter, on the site of an older building. The tower and S aisle are of a later date. The church was restored and re-roofed in 1892. It contains some fine oak carving, several very beautiful stained glass windows, and a large altar-tomb of alabaster and marble erected to the memory of General Crealock. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Littleham St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Littleham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Littleham (St. Swithin))
Online maps of Littleham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.