Staithes, North Riding of Yorkshire
Staithes, a village in Hinderwell and Easington parishes, N.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 10 miles NW of Whitby, and 1½ from Hinderwell. It has a station on a section of the N.E.R. and a head post office, and it was the place where the circumnavigator Cook was apprenticed to a grocer. A Roman Catholic church was erected in 1885, and there are Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a Church of England mission room, a Fishermen's and Seamen's Institute, and two banks. The inhabitants are mainly engaged in fishing.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Staithes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: