Stainton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Stainton, a township and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles from Thornaby-on-Tees railway station, 5 from Stokesley, and has a post office under Stockton-on-Tees; money order office, Marton; telegraph office, Thornaby-on-Tees. Acreage of township, 2306; population, 344. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The parish includes the townships of Ingle by Barwick, Maltby, Thornaby, and Hemlington, and the hamlet of Thornton. Population, 707. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £228 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church stands on a very ancient site and is in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, and turret. The living of Thornaby is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stainton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Stockton-upon-Tees|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stainton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stainton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: