St Olave Mary Gate, North Riding of Yorkshire
Olave-Mary-Gate, St, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the N.E.R., adjacent to the NW side of York city, and is comprised within the county borough of York. Acreage, 50; population, 1068; of the ecclesiastical parish, 8515. The Wilberforce School for the Blind is here, and at the census of 1891 had seventy inmates; also the York Industrial School for boys, founded in 1852. The parish contains also the townships of Clifton and Rawcliffe, and part of the township of Heworth, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is York. The York Workhouse and the North Riding County Lunatic Asylum, with about 700 inmates, are in Clifton. The living is a vicarage, united with St Giles, in the diocese of York; net value, £208 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church stands on the site of the monastery of Earl Siward, who died in 1055, was rebuilt out of the ruins of St Mary's Abbey, and is said to be, with the exception of the cathedral, the oldest church in York. The chancel was rebuilt in 1879, a new organ was erected in 1881, and the tower was restored in 1888. The churchyard contains the grave of the artist Etty.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: