Spennithorne, North Riding of Yorkshire
Spennithorne, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ure, 2 miles SE by E of Leyburn, and has a station on the N.E.R., and a post office under Leyburn; money order and telegraph office, Leyburn. Acreage of the township, 1310; population, 197; of the ecclesiastical parish, 368. Bricks are made. The parish also comprises the townships of Harmby and Bellerby. .Spennithorne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £389 with residence. The church, which is ancient and in the Norman style of architecture, was restored in 1872. It consists of nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower. Hutchinson the Hebraist was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Spennithorne St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Spennithorne:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Spennithorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Spennithorne (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Spennithorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: