Spaunton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Spaunton, a township in Lastingham parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 7 miles NW of Pickering, and 3½ from Kirby Moorside station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 1284, besides 7561 acres of moor land common to Spaunton and four other townships; population, 102.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pickering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Spaunton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Spaunton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Spaunton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: