Sowerby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Sowerby, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, with a village, in Thirsk parish, N.R. Yorkshire, suburban to Thirsk, and adjacent on the SE to Thirsk railway station. The village is a seat of petty sessions, and has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Thirsk; telegraph office, Thirsk. Acreage of township, 2614; population, 1876. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is a cruciform building, in the Norman style, and was restored in 1883. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sowerby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sowerby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sowerby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: