UK Genealogy Archives logo

South Kilvington, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Kilvington, South, a village, a township, and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the rivulets Cod beck and Whitelass beck, 2 miles N of Thirsk railway station. It has a post office under Thirsk; money order and telegraph office, Tbtrsk. Acreage, 935; population, 209. The parish contains also the townships of Upsall and Thombrough. Acreage, 2936; population, 358. A castle of the Scrope family was at Upsall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £550 with residence. Patrons, Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good, has a wooden tower, and contains a font of the time of Edward IV., engraved with the arms of the Scrope family.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for South Kilvington:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
 1823-19031576-1837 

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of South Kilvington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

DistrictHambleton
CountyNorth Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtYO7
Post TownThirsk